SG-W:/ "You Are What You Eat: Making Food Choices That Promote Healthy Farms, Communities, and Environments"

Friends,

Your mother was right after all when she told you, "You are what you eat."  Back then, it meant "eat your vegetables."  Today, it involves questions about pesticide levels, healthy diets, the future of family farms and rural communities, and the impact of farming methods on natural ecosystems.

On Tuesday, May 18, Marty Heller will present a slideshow titled "You Are What You Eat:  Making Food Choices That Promote Healthy Farms, Communities, and Environments."  Marty is with the C.S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems at Michigan State University and is an expert on how our food choices affect our bodies, our society, and our environment.

This free event is open to the public and begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).  It's followed by a social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interest in nature.

EarthCash shopping vouchers will be available for purchase by cash or check during the social hour.  This program lets you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to contribute $42,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative; with your help, we do even more.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group

Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group Monthly Meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/