Re: SG-W:/ Northfield Referendum overturns rezoning

     Presumably the next stage will be for the developer to go to court, in an attempt to overturn the voters' zoning decision.

     I understand, from discussions in connection with the Newmarket project in Pittsfield Township, that the voters have no greater power than the Township government to reject reasonable land use proposals (I think this is correct?).

     Michigan law seems often to favor developers, so if a rejection by the Township board could have been overturned by the courts, so can the referendum results. (Presumably the Pittsfield board made the same assumption, when they decided to buy out the developer rather than go through the petitioned-for referendum and face the developer in court. -- do I remember this sequence of events correctly?)