SG-W:/ Tuesday, July 20: "Gardens, Trails, & Prairies: Three Tours of the Matthei Botanical Gardens"

Friends,

This Tuesday, July 20, the Sierra Club's Huron Valley Group invites you to take a guided tour of the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens grounds.  This year we're offering three very different tours, each guided by an expert.  One tour will focus on Matthei's formal gardens; the second will focus on the Botanical Gardens' restored prairie ecosystem, and the third will follow Matthei's extensive trails systems through the Gardens' diverse ecosystems.  All three tours offer the chance to enjoy a midsummer evening stroll in a beautiful setting and learn about the wonders of the natural world.

You're also invited to join us for a potluck supper beginning at 6:30 pm; to participate, please bring a dish to share, eating utensils, and a cup.  We'll convene inside the Botanical Gardens building at 7:30 pm for the tours.  Please feel free to participate in the tours, the potluck, or both events based on your interests.

The Botanical Gardens tour will be followed by our social hour, which features light refreshments and gives you a chance to meet others who share your interests in exploring, enjoying, and protecting nature.  You can also learn about Sierra Club activities including hikes, service projects, and a variety of conservation campaigns.

EarthCash shopping vouchers will be available for purchase by cash or check during the social hour.  This program lets you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to contribute $42,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative; with your help, we can do even more.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group

Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group Monthly Meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/