SG-W:/ Come meet live raptors! Tuesday, August 17 at Matthei Botanical Gardens

Friends,

This Tuesday, August 17, the Sierra Club's Huron Valley Group and the Washtenaw Audubon Society invite you to get to know some of America's most majestic birds on a first-hand basis.  Dody Wyman, the Director of the River Raisin Raptor Center, will bring live raptors to Matthei Botanical Gardens as part of her "Hunters of the Sky:  Up Close and Personal with Live Owls and Hawks" presentation.

This free event is jointly sponsored by the local Sierra Club and Audubon Society groups and is open to the public.  It begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).  It's followed by a social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interests in enjoying and protecting nature.  You can also learn about Sierra Club and Audubon Society activities including hikes, service projects, and a variety of conservation campaigns.

EarthCash shopping vouchers will be available for purchase by cash or check during the social hour.  This program lets you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to contribute $42,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative; with your help, we can do even more.  We'll also have 2005 Sierra Club calendars available for sale.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event, and at our September 21 meeting.  It's titled "Thinking Globally, Acting Locally:  Getting Involved with your Local Sierra Club" and is specifically designed for anyone interested in learning more about the wide range of Sierra Club activities in our area.

Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested!

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group

Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group Monthly Meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/