SG-W:/ "Beyond 4 Wheels" on Tuesday, 11/16

Friends,
For the last 70 years, our communities have been designed to make life easier for cars -- and more intimidating for pedestrians and bicyclists.  Forward-looking cities are beginning to challenge that paradigm and think beyond four wheels when it comes to urban design and transportation.  They're adding sidewalks and bike paths to existing streets and creating greenways that allow residents a safe, attractive way to move around town.

On Tuesday, November 16, Norm Cox of The Greenway Collaborative will explore how this vision could become reality in Ann Arbor.  "Beyond Four Wheels: The Future of Biking and Walking in Ann Arbor" will explore one key element in making one of America's great places to live even better.  Norm's presentation is particularly timely given the increasing interest in building a greenway through downtown Ann Arbor.

This free event is sponsored by the local Sierra Club group and is open to the public.  It begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

You're also invited to stay for our social hour after the presentation, during which you can meet others who share your interests in nature.  You can also learn about Sierra Club activities including hikes, service projects, and a variety of conservation campaigns.  We'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to contribute $42,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we can do even more.  We'll also have 2005 Sierra Club calendars available for sale.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group

Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group Monthly Meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Events information:
www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/  and  (734) 480-7751