SG-W:/ "Mastodons, Glaciers, and Floods: 20,000 years of Washtenaw County's Natural History" - Tuesday, 1/18 at Matthaei Botanical Gardens

Friends,

Washtenaw County has changed a lot in recent years, mostly due to human activities.  But the changes we've seen pale in comparison to the changes that nature has wrought over longer time periods.  Imagine mastodons walking down Main Street or glaciers hundreds of feet thick covering your back yard, your front yard, and your house!

If you're curious about the changes our area has undergone, then you'll be fascinated by our upcoming public program.  On Tuesday, January 18, Bill Farrand will take us on a journey through the deep history of our area.  "Mastodons, Glaciers, and Floods:  20,000 Years of Washtenaw County's Natural History" will explore the changes in our local geography, climate, and wildlife.  Dr. Farrand is Professor Emeritus of Geological Sciences and the retired director of the UM Exhibit Museum of Natural History.

This free event is sponsored by the local Sierra Club group and is open to the public.  It begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

You're also invited to our post-presentation social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interests in nature and learn about local Sierra Club activities ranging from hikes and ski outings to service projects and a variety of conservation campaigns.  We'll also have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to contribute $42,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we can do even more.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group

Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group Monthly Meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Events information:
www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/