SG-W:/ Tuesday, 2/15: "Fact, Fiction, and Politics: Uses and Abuses of Uncertainty in the Climate Change Debate"

Friends,

 Some have seized on our evolving knowledge, changing projections, and scientists' innate caution to claim that global warming is a myth, a hoax, or an unproven theory.   On Tuesday, February 15, you can learn the truth about the claims and counterclaims regarding the science of global warming from one of the leading experts in the field.  The University of Michigan's Henry Pollack will present "Fact, Fiction, and Politics: Uses and Abuses of Uncertainty in the Climate Change Debate."

This free event is sponsored by the local Sierra Club group and is open to the public.  It begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

You're also invited to stay for our post-presentation social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interest in nature and learn about local Sierra Club activities ranging from hikes and ski outings to service projects and a variety of conservation campaigns.  We'll also have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to contribute $42,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we can do even more.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group

Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group Monthly Meetings are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

Events information:
www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/