SG-W:/ Tuesday, 3/15: "Great Lakes, Uncertain Future: The Fate of the Great Lakes"

(Corrected Version)
Friends,

Michigan and the Great Lakes are inseparable.  Michigan proclaims itself to be "The Great Lake State" and sits at the heart of the Great Lakes basin.  The Great Lakes have shaped our past and are central to our economy and ecology.  The relationship goes both ways:  we have changed the Great Lakes, and their future health depends critically on whether Michiganders will take action to secure that future.

On Tuesday, March 15, the Sierra Club brings one of the nation's foremost experts on the Great Lakes to the Ann Arbor area.  Dave Dempsey has over 20 years of experience working on Great Lakes issues.  He will present "Great Past, Uncertain Future:  The Fate of the Great Lakes."

This free event is sponsored by the local Sierra Club group and is open to the public.  It begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

You're also invited to our social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interest in nature and learn about local Sierra Club activities ranging from hikes and ski outings to a variety of conservation campaigns.  We'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to contribute $43,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we can do even more.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's monthly public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

April's Public Program:  "Backyard Biodiversity: Native Plants for the Home Landscape." Presented by Greg Vaclavek of The Native Plant Nursery. Tuesday, April 19, 7:30 pm.