SG-W:/ Tuesday, July 19: "Prairies, Gardens, and Woodlands: Three Tours of the Matthei Botanical Gardens"

Friends,

This Tuesday, July 19, the Sierra Club's Huron Valley Group invites you to join one of three tours of the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens grounds, each guided by an expert.  One tour will focus on Matthei's formal gardens and restored pond; the second will focus on the Botanical Gardens' restored prairie and Fleming Creek ecosystems, and the third will explore Matthei's diverse trees and wildflowers along its extensive trails system.  All three tours offer the chance to enjoy a midsummer evening stroll in a beautiful setting and learn about the wonders of the natural world.

You're also invited to join us for a potluck supper beginning at 6:30 pm; to participate, please bring a dish to share, eating utensils, and a cup.  We'll convene inside the Botanical Gardens building at 7:30 pm for the tours.  Please feel free to participate in the tours, the potluck, or both events based on your interests.

The Botanical Gardens tour will be followed by our social hour, during which you can meet others who share your interest in nature and learn about local Sierra Club activities ranging from hikes and ski outings to a variety of conservation campaigns.  We'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at the stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to contribute $43,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we can do even more.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's monthly public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

August 16 Public Program:  "The Wonder of Raptors: Up Close and Personal with Live Hawks and Owls" by Dody Wyman, River Raisin Raptor Center.  Cosponsored with the Washtenaw Audubon Society.