SG-W:/ Tuesday, Aug. 16: "The Wonder of Raptors: Up Close and Personal with Live Hawks and Owls"

Friends,

Whether soaring on thermals or perched on a tree branch, birds of prey are one of nature's most beautiful sights.  This Tuesday, August 16, you can get up close and personal with live hawks and owls, courtesy of the River Raisin Raptor Center.  This event is co-sponsored by the Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group and Washtenaw Audubon Society.

Newcomers are welcome to this free, family-friendly event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).

It will be followed by our social hour, where you'll meet friendly people who share your interest in nature and can learn about local Sierra Club activities like hiking, skiing, and our conservation projects.  We'll also have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to contribute $43,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we can do even more.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  All are welcome; no membership is required.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's monthly public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

September 20 Public Program:  "Think Globally, Act Locally:  Getting Involved with your Local Sierra Club Group."