SG-W:/ Tuesday, 9/20: Think Globally, Act Locally: Getting Involved in YOUR Local Sierra Club Group

Friends,

This Tuesday, the Sierra Club's Huron Valley Group invites you to get to know the wide range of Sierra Club activities at the national, state, and local levels.  Our September public program is titled "Think Globally, Act Locally:  Getting Involved With Your Local Sierra Club Group."  It's designed to let you explore the incredible variety of things you can do with and through the Sierra Club, with the primary focus on our local activities, which are 100% organized and led by local volunteers.  These activities include:

  ** A wide range of conservation campaigns aimed at protecting wildlife, natural areas, open space, and the quality of our air and water  --  and at ensuring that our local public officials honor their promises to do the same.

  ** Our Outings Program, which sponsors hikes, canoe trips, bike tours, and service projects such as trail-building and park maintenance in the best natural spots locally and throughout the state.

  ** The Inner City Outings program, in which local Sierra Club members organize opportunities for underprivileged children in the area to explore and enjoy nature.

  ** Our Political Team, which works to elect pro-environment candidates to office at the national, state, and local levels.

Newcomers are welcome to this free, family-friendly event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).

It will be
followed by our social hour, where you'll meet friendly people who share your interest in nature and can learn about local Sierra Club activities like hiking, skiing, and our conservation projects.  We'll also have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items at stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  It enabled us to contribute $43,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we can do even more.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  All are welcome; no membership is required.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's monthly public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.