SG-W:/ Sierra Club free event: "Fishes of the Great Lakes: History and Hope for Restoration" on Tuesday, 10/18

Friends,

Over a century of exploitation has decimated America's greatest freshwater fishery:  the Great Lakes.  Efforts to restore the Great Lakes ecosystem have scored some notable successes.  But new threats have emerged which require new responses.  This Tuesday, October 18, the University of Michigan's Gerald Smith will share his insights on the history of Great Lakes fishes and the hopes for long-term restoration of the lakes' unique ecology.

Newcomers are welcome to this free, family-friendly event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens (directions below).

After the presentation, we invite you to stay for light refreshments and mingle with
friendly people who share your interest in nature.  You can learn about local Sierra Club activities like hiking, skiing, and our various conservation projects.  We'll also have EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  They let you help stop sprawl when you shop at many of your favorite stores -- at no additional cost to you.  Thanks to the hundreds of participants in this program, we contributed $43,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we can do even more.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's event.  All are welcome; no membership is required.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Mike Sklar
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's monthly public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public. Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

November 15 Public Program:  "Lands of Enchantment:  Protecting the Grasslands and Wilderness of New
                                                             Mexico's Otero Mesa" - Nathan Small of the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance