SG-W:/ Hunters of the Sky: Up Close and Personal with Live Hawks, Falcons, and Owls -- Tuesday, August 15 in Ann Arbor

Raptors are amazing birds.  But how often do you get a chance to see them just a few yards away?  Take my word for it -- they're even more amazing at that distance.

Prepare to be amazed, as well as educated, on Tuesday, August 15 when Francie Krawcke of the Leslie Science Center presents Hunters of the Sky:  Up Close and Personal with Live Hawks, Falcons, and OwlsFrancie will explain how these birds live in a way that even non-birders can understand, while sharing tales that reveal aspects of their behavior that even bird experts may not know.

Newcomers are welcome to this free, family-friendly event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the lovely Matthaei Botanical Gardens (map).

After the presentation, you can mingle over refreshments with friendly people who share your interest in nature.  You can learn about local Sierra Club activities like hiking, skiing, and conservation projects.

We'll also have EarthCash shopping vouchers for purchase by cash or check.  You can help stop sprawl while shopping at your favorite stores -- at no additional cost to you.  Thanks to hundreds of participants, we contributed $43,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we'll do even more.

I hope to see you Tuesday.  All are welcome; no membership is required.  This program is co-sponsored by the Washtenaw Audubon Society.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

P.S. Want to learn more about rehabilitating injured raptors?  Check out the River Raisin Raptor Center.

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth roads, just east of Ann Arbor and US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.

September 19:  "
Exploring Our Local 'Big Wild':  Five Unknown Hikes in the State Recreation Areas" -- Barry Lonik, Treemore Ecology and Land Services

For more information:
http://www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/