SG-W:/ Michigan Wolves: Past, Present, and Future -- Tuesday, October 17

After 150 years of systematic state-sponsored extermination, wolves were nearly gone from Michigan by 1974.

But the wolf is coming back.  Over 400 are now living in Michigan.
This coming Tuesday, October 17 you can learn how the wolf population is naturally recovering, the challenges that this poses, and the debate over the future of Michigan wolves, when Dorothy McLeer of the Timber Wolf Alliance presents Michigan Wolves:  Past, Present, and Future.

Newcomers are welcome to this free, family-friendly event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the lovely Matthaei Botanical Gardens (map).

After the presentation, you can mingle over refreshments with friendly people who share your interest in nature.  You can learn about local Sierra Club activities like hiking, skiing, and conservation projects.

We'll have EarthCash shopping vouchers for purchase by cash or check.  You can help stop sprawl at your favorite stores -- at no added cost to you.  Thanks to hundreds of participants, we contributed $43,000 to pass Michigan's boldest anti-sprawl initiative.  With your help, we'll do even more.

All are welcome; no membership is required.    Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

P.S. Want to know more about Michigan wolves? Go to: http://www.northland.edu/Northland/Soei/Programs/TimberWolfAlliance/AboutWolves/WolvesOfLakeSuperior/WolvesofMichigan.htm

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth roads, just east of Ann Arbor and US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.

November 21:
Canoeing the Western Arctic Reserve:  Wilderness, Wildlife, and Oil
                                   Beverly Strassman, Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology, University of Michigan

For more information:
http://www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/