SG-W:/ The Death of Nature: The Impending Great Extinction of the 21st Century? -- Tuesday, February 20

Friends,

If we fail to take dramatic action, global climate change threatens to raise temperatures, melt glaciers, flood coastal areas, and increase the frequency and violence of storms.

There's one other disaster on the horizon:  the extinction of species on massive scale.  Climate change, combined with increasing habitat fragmentation and spread of diseases, means that one-third of all species are at risk of extinction by 2100.

Please join us at the Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's free public program this Tuesday, February 20 to hear Johannes Foufopoulos of the University of Michigan's School of Natural Resources and the Environment discuss The Death of Nature:  The Impending Great Extinction of the 21st Century?

Newcomers are welcome to this family-friendly event, which begins at 7:30 pm at the lovely Matthaei Botanical Gardens (map).

After the presentation, we invite you to stay for refreshments and mingle with friendly people who share your interest in nature.  You can learn about local Sierra Club activities like hiking, skiing, and our conservation projects.

We'll have Sierra Club coffee, and tea, and EarthCash shopping vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  With EarthCash you can help stop sprawl when you shop at many of your favorite stores -- at no additional cost to you.

All are welcome; no membership is required.    Please feel free to forward this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

The Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group's public programs are normally held on the third Tuesday of each month at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth roads, just east of Ann Arbor and US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the public.  Next months meeting:

March 20        Where the Bison and Biologists Roam:  Summer in Yellowstone Park

Dave Brooks

For more information: http://www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/